“I was a heart attack waiting to happen. The FFIT project has helped me completely change my lifestyle and hopefully add years to my life” “Most guys would not turn up for anything other than something football orientated” “I found a convivial group of other “oldies”, who loved still being able to play the whole experience is much more sociable we have made new and lasting friendships I’ve been stuck in the house for 4 years with depression but this has got me through it and I feel a lot better”
Play the #2ndHalf is our campaign to encourage older adults to stay active.
A staggering 1 in 6 deaths are caused by inactivity. Research shows that as you get older, you’re far more likely to become inactive: 42 per cent of people aged 55 and over are inactive and many older adults see physical inactivity as a natural and inevitable part of growing older – with activity being something they did in the past.
However, if life was a game of football when you reach 50 your only just at the start of the 2nd half – so there’s plenty more time to play.
Regular levels of physical activity in adults:
- reduces the risk of hypertension, coronary heart disease, stroke, diabetes, breast and colon cancer, depression and the risk of falls;
- improves bone and functional health;
- increases energy levels and improves weight control.
So don’t be substituted and stand on the sidelines when there so much time left – keep playing and take active part in life.
Football clubs provide many way to stay active.
- Walking Football : Run by most EFL Clubs
- Fit fans : Run by several football clubs
- FanActiv : Fulham FC and Brentford FC’s award winning activity that turns fan rivalry into health competition
It’s a Social Thing
Walking and going to the gym may be great ways to keep fit. However, it’s the social side of our activity that our participant’s love and which helps them continue to stay active; the comment below from Ian who takes part in walking football with Chesterfield FC is typical of the feedback we receive;
“I found a convivial group of other “oldies”, who loved still being able to play. The whole experience is much more sociable and we have made new and lasting friendships.
In January 2017, our #2ndHalf campaign reached out to just under 2 Million people on Twitter.
10-12 West Cliff,
- Tony: “I can’t believe how much my life has turned around. The support of friends I have met through Extra Time Hubs has been vital.”17th June 2019 - 2:00 pm
- 12 Extra Time Hubs launched17th June 2019 - 12:10 pm
- Eight straight national titles for ‘amazing’ Charlton Upbeats12th June 2019 - 4:31 pm
- Louie: “NCS made me who I am today”12th June 2019 - 2:22 pm