The Match Fit programme offers support for people over the age of 25 that are struggling to find work. The programme helps people overcome a range of barriers to employment, such as mental health, being a single parent, social isolation, lack of confidence and physical disabilities.
The programme runs for 8 weeks and is specifically aimed at those deemed almost ready and able to re-enter the labour market but who need upskilling and more recent, relevant work experience.
Many of individuals, which society deems ‘hard to reach’ are reluctant to engage with mainstream employment and education provision. However, Football Club hold a unique place at the heart of their local community and using the power of the badge, can reach and engage with people where other struggle.
So far over half the people who have taken part in Match Fit, many of which were long term unemployed and with significant barriers to entering work, have been successful in finding work or going into further education after completing the programme.
Each Match Fit programme has the following core elements:
- Behaviours and attitudes for work – a 9 hour qualification examining the personal qualities needed for employment. This qualification aims to begin changing the mind set of participants from believing they have few employability skills to realising that they have a range of transferrable skills.
- Health and Safety Awareness – a 16 hour qualification raising awareness of health and safety requirements for employees and employers. This is a generic qualification that provides a basic awareness to Health and Safety for a variety vocational areas.
Core Employability Qualification
- Digital Skills for Pre-employability – a 53 hour qualification upskilling participants’ digital skills to enable learners to search for and apply for jobs online.
- Functional Skills English and maths – 45 hours each to move learners towards level 2
- 80-100 hours work experience in a vocational area of interest to participants. This provides participants with either a guaranteed interview for vacancies with the employer or a reference to take to other interviews if the organisation does not have current vacancies. Work placements are not solely based within the football club but also with partner organisations.
- Traditional employability skills – interview techniques, CV writing, job application support and mentoring.
There are also optional qualifications – based on local labour market needs such as Customer Service or Spectator Safety.